East Orange General Hospital offers orthopedic care in a convenient safe environment. Our orthopedic specialists treat a wide range of conditions that can affect mobility or cause pain and discomfort. Comprehensiveness and convenience are key elements in our approach. Orthopedic conditions can limit your activities and quality of life. Our goal is for you to return to your normal activities and increase mobility as soon as possible.
At East Orange General Hospital, we take an interdisciplinary and comprehensive approach to your care. While at East Orange General Hospital, you will be cared for by a team that oversees your treatment from pre-surgical assessments and education, to surgical procedures to post-operative care and rehabilitation. Our Joint Replacement Program led by Medical Director Calvin C. Matthews, MD, a community orthopedic surgeon with over 25 years experience servicing the orthopedic needs of this community.
We offer a wide variety of orthopedic surgery procedures including:
- Pain Management
- Hip revision surgery
- Total hip replacement
- Partial knee replacement
- Knee revision surgery
- Shoulder arthroplasty (total and reverse)
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Knee arthroscopy
- Ankle arthroscopy
- Hand surgery
- Viscosupplementation injections
Hospital to Home Program
Traditionally, many joint replacement patients’ go from the hospital to inpatient facilities to receive the required rehabilitation. Our comprehensive program begins well before the surgery itself, with educational classes and a home evaluation that helps us set up the post-hospital treatment plan.
We use leading edge technology and techniques for minimally invasive surgery, customized to meet your needs. Our philosophy of continuous quality improvement and patient-centered care is integrated throughout your entire experience. We use a multi-disciplinary approach to coordinate care and improve patient outcomes. Our team of experts work together to determine the best treatment plan for each patient. This team approach results in faster recovery so that patients’ can get back to their lives more quickly.
We have designed our Hospital to Home Program to help ensure that you have a successful recovery and a smooth transition home. Through this unique program, East Orange General Hospital’s orthopedic team helps you return directly to the comfort of your own home just days after surgery.
If your surgeon determines you are eligible to go home after your hospital stay, the orthopedic team will arrange for the following:
- Your Physical Therapist will come to your home prior to surgery to review post-operative exercises, perform a home safety evaluation and assess the need for any necessary home equipment.
- Your therapist will come to your home on your discharge day to review your plan of care with you and help you settle in.
- The same therapist will visit your home; the same frequency of your home therapy visits will be tailored to your needs.
- A nurse will visit your home periodically to check your vital signs and surgical site and answer any questions you may have about medication and recuperation.
- Our orthopedic surgeons coordinate your care with other medical professionals. This interdisciplinary approach enables the most effective and individualized treatment of your orthopedic condition.